Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


(4/5) Stars?

For the book's summary click here


"The intrigue and romance will inescapably draw you in."  - Cassandra Clare 




Me after I finished the book:

Five stars? No, no 4 stars...No five ! No...four?



You know those books that after you finish them you're torn between all the possible ratings? This is one of them.

Well I finished this book and I asked myself what the hell can I even say in a review for that book to make people go read it? Cause all that came to mind was "Just read it to understand. Read it." 

So cut me some slack while I attempt to write a decent review for this book without underestimating it.

First off my reaction to the genres:

-Romance: Hell yeah !

-Young Adult: Duh!

-Fantasy: Hmm

-Paranormal: OK...

-Horror and thriller : Not okay !

In the end, the book intrigued me and I decided to give it a chance. 

I was expecting goosebumps and shudders kind of thriller and thank God this wasn't the case because I'm not really good with horror and thriller in books.

I like that the story can fit anyone from contemporary readers like me to fantasy and sci-fi readers like Laila.

I really did enjoy this book, but for some reason i'm finding it really hard to review. Even Laila is doubtful. In my defense, I stayed up until 10 AM! to finish the book and not just any book can win that honor.

  

And the ending of this story !!! The ending is just....(PS: That's a good thing.)





Noah, Noah , Noah let's talk about Noah for a second. At the beginning I wasn't really a fan since he seemed like a player and I'm more into the mysterious and quiet/funny/seems geeky but actually isn't, guy who turns out to be really cool or known for a stereotype (like being dangerous) and then turns out to be really sweet. However, as the story progressed I kept liking him more and more and he began to fit in the "known for a stereotype but turns out to be really sweet" category.

As for Mara, what I first loved about her is her don't-mess-with-me attitude. She met Noah ,the boy that makes all girls in school go into instant fangirl mode, and called him an asshole, which made me mentally applaud her. There's nothing worse than stupid main characters and Mara wasn't even close.   


I have to mention Mara's brother Daniel for being the "I will tease you endlessly but then I'll protect you, cover for you and work things out with mom when there's a problem" kind of brother.

Overall, this story still made me confused I even went back to reread pages to try to understand and at some parts my mind went numb from thinking I was planning to read a sci-fi book after The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer but now the only thing I can actually read is a cutesy contemporary romance my mind needs a break.







Laila here. I just wanted to say something since Farah is reviewing one of my favorite books! I FREAKING LOVE THIS SERIES! I would give this book 5 stars and I'd give the second one 6! 


Seriously though this book is everything I love about YA literature.

 An awesome heroine: check (Mara is such a badass!)

A captivating plot: check (But bear in mind that you'll be mostly confused for pretty much the entire first book and the second one too, so be patient.)

A wonderful writing style with lots of humor: check (Thank you Michelle Hodkin for being so bloody amazing)

Adorable romance (even if it is a bit cliché) and a dreamy male lead: check and check! (Noah Elliot Simon Shaw is the man of my dreams. Well, one of the many fictional men of my dreams)

So I think it's safe to say that The Unbecoming of Mara is the perfect book for me. Now you have both of our opinions, but you should definitely read it yourself to decide whether or not this book is for you. Trust me, you won't regret it.


QOTD : (more like a request) what book do you recommend for us?" 





Where you can find it in Egypt?
(Sometimes the book will be out of stock by the time you read the post so please check with them beforehand)


1-the BOOK SPOT
  -In Cairo, but Ships all over Egypt 

  -Website : www.bookspotonline.com


2-Cherry Blossom Books
  -Ships all over Egypt

  -Website: cherryblossom-books.com



No comments:

Post a Comment